After I gave up trying to convince myself that it was gonna stay stock, I decided to see what I could do on stock suspension and street tires. I knew the dub would be capable in stock trim, but I wanted to see just how capable. Keeping that in mind, I decided to attend to the interior first.
The first thing I upgraded was the radio. I had already decided to go with a double-din in dash nav unit. It was just a matter of building the bracketry and trim piece.
First step was to cut out the extra bits in the dash to accommodate the new head unit.
The next step was to bend and cut some brackets to mount the radio. Straightforward stuff here.
Next up was to build the trim bezel/radio surround/whatever you want to call it. I ordered an OEM trim piece in flat black and started to cut it out to fit the radio.
After getting it to roughly fit around the radio, I taped off and fiberglassed the trim to fill in the extra spots. Sorry for the fuzzy photos, I [insert standard excuse here].
A skim coat of Bondo and some flat black rattlecan to test final fit.
Installed. I had planned on pulling it all back apart and spraying some texture and real paint on it, but… Meh.
Since these photos I have upgraded to a newer model of the same radio. I really like the Garmin Navigation that’s imbedded in the Kenwood OS. A lot of folks don’t like the Kenwood interface (and I have some complaints too) but overall, you can’t beat it.